My Story of Trials as a Nursing Mother


My story of trials as a nursing mother!


Nursing a baby is a very personal and a private time between a mother and baby. Apart from sustaining the baby, nursing creates a wonderful bond between mother and child.

Petrified!
I remember my first time, sigh!!!!! I was soooper excited and nervous at the same time. I did not know how to even hold my son properly, biggest fear,'What if I drop him? He is so delicate, will I hurt him?' Latching and/or burping was another (Oh God, eyes rolling!), you know what I mean! I was very, very afraid that something would happen to him.


My mother and husband were at the hospital with me when I nervously took my son from the nurse. Mom was looking on very tenderly and husband had an awe filled look on his face, where as I had a petrified look!  


Mother’s instinct took over when he latched on and I cried at the marvel of nature!

Nursing baby at the hospital was fine with hospital staff and family, but when I went home and visitors started pouring in is when I faced a huge dilemma! How to nurse baby without exposing the body? Agreed it is the most natural thing, but do people give you privacy? Are we sitting there doing ‘Janata Darshan’ that they fixedly stare at you and behave as though they have nowhere else to look? I was feeling highly embarrassed and did not know how to react!

I got the typical comments of, “You have something different that we have not seen or got?” “What’s the big deal?” 

See, my take is, is it about the other’s or is it about me! They may have seen other girls while they were nursing their baby, but I have not exposed myself to so many and why should I? Nursing my baby is a very personal and a private time between my baby and me!

So when I sat down on the drawing board to design Maternity and Nursing wear, it was these and other experiences which were my guiding force. And the focus was to make them from an expectant mommy and a nursing mother's perspective and need.

Do read on, on how I used my above personal trials as a Nursing Mother to design discreet nursing wear in my next blog.

I would love to read your experiences, so please do share with me and our readers.


Image courtesy http://www.babycare.onlymyhealth.com/imported/images/2012/May/30_May_2012/Newborn-Baby-Care-ci.jpg 

You Might Also Like

3 comments

  1. great thought taken in creating the nursing wear............... i did not know u write tooo Kalpana. Ur a super Woman. Keep it going.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks a lot Neelima, appreciate your kind words :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks a lot Neelima, appreciate your kind words :-)

    ReplyDelete

Flickr Images

Popular Posts

Store Address

1/2, Cambridge Cross Rd, Stage 2, Jogupalya, Bengaluru, Karnataka 560008